Skip to main content

Why I cannot vote for Senetor Bernie Sanders?

Few days back , I wrote this on social media, reinforcing my believe in hard work.
My dad always says "There is nothing called free lunch, you pay for it one way or other" . When Senetor BERNIE promises FREE tuition, health care, it scares the hell out of me. I wonder who is going to pay for this? Teachers or doctors are not going to offer their service for free. I earned my education; worked really hard to pay off my student debt. I believe it builds character, it builds dream. I want my children to experience that some day.FREE makes people lazy and lazy people can't make a difference in the world. There is no alternative of hard work. It's the only way to achieve AmericanDream.
 It somehow attracted lot of conversation on my social media. Some  shared their views, own personal stories, some applauded, some even called me arrogant or ignorant. I would like to clear the air. May be I did not make my views very clear.

 Here is a little bit of my Background. I was born and raised in Bangladesh. I came to United States at the age of  19. I finished my undergrad from "University of North Texas". In the first few year in US, I support myself with various scholarships, federal grants, student loan and my Co-op internships. My parents loaned me 3K as my 1st semester tuition, which I payed back while I was in school. I have first hand experience, how hard a student's life could be.  Going to school, work 30 + hours a week. I remember, I used to  take classes from 8 in the morning till 5 in the evening. Then work from 6.00 pm - to 12.00 am. Next morning, my shift was from 7.00 am to 3.pm and had class at 5.00 pm.  I didn't have enough clothes to keep me warm in winter nights. Life was hard. However, I was fortunate to get well paid job with benefits after college. With careful planning , and no help from any individuals , I was able to pay off my student debt in 4 years.

Here is the reasons I cannot support FREE college education by funded by higher taxation.

The 1st argument I hear is,  don't you support free K-12 education then?

K-12 and college is different. K-12 is for children and college is for adults unless someone is a super genius. Treating both same is wrong in so many level. Through k-12 we build our children, give them values, teach them the value of hard work, make them ready for the real world. If a child works hard to get good SAT score, s/he will be able to manage scholarship. They don't need free tuition. These hard working children will make the future. Those are not working as hard , doesn't deserve free tuition with my hard earned tax dollar. I rather create a scholarship fund than give away free tuition.

To me, college is the stepping stone of adulthood. One has to be responsible making his/her choices. If one chooses a major that has 50K median salary. It will take him/her 5 years to get to the median. S/he cannot take 70K loan/debt. If S/he still makes the choice, they should pay for it. If Senator Bernie, bails them out now, they will make another irresponsible choices and ask the society to bail them out again. It will be a vicious circle of irresponsible choices and bailing out.

Next, some told me , there is not enough scholarships.
 I agree with you, scholarships are not advertised as well as loans. A responsible student , who keeps his GPA up, spend time looking/ applying for scholarship shouldn't be rewarded the same as student, who plays video game all day and take loans to finish school. Who do you think will do better in a performance based work life ? We have to teach the college students hard work and get them prepared for career after college. As you definitely know, not every one performs equally at work.
Would you prefer they all get the same bonus, salary, promotions, regardless of performance?

 Do you know, a lot of scholarship goes unapplied every year in US . I did my undergrad in Texas. at least, in Texas, if you are in top 10% in any high school ( regardless of SAT score), you get free tuition/ or merit based scholarship in any University of Texas(UT) state school. I believe other states has similar / comparable scholarship system as well.

Someone is going to law/med school racking up 300k student debt. In their professional life they are going to make way more than 300k. Why a single mother, whose yearly income is barely 50K , has to pay more taxes , to pay for his/her (lawyer/ doctor's) education ? Most of these lawyer/ docs are not going to offer their services for free.

 Free college tuition will degrade the quality of higher education in US. It will become as messy as K-12 . America is the number one super power, because of it's highest quality education system. To degrade quality to produce average students, it's not going to bring any good to the society. Sweden is a social welfare county and provides free higher education. Still given a choice, people choose American college degree than Swedish degree.
Suppose higher education becomes free and everyone has at least a bachelors. All the people , works in service industry, will still work there and earn minimum wages. The only thing changes for them , is to pay more taxes for someone else's degraded degree.

I would like Senetor Bernie or any other President to work on reducing the cost of higher education, rather than making it free , on the expense of our tax dollar. Higher education quality is a non negotiable for progress of any county. We need visionaries to create more job opportunities. Life is not pre-K, where everyone is rewarded the same, regardless the performance and effort. There is no alternative to hard work. If someone works hard, make responsible choices, can make it here. That's the American dream. For these reasons, I cannot vote for Senator Bernie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

টোনা টুনির গল্প

এক দেশে ছিলো এক টোনা আর এক টুনি। এক ছুটিরদিন সকালে টোনা, টুনিকে ডাকিয়া কহিল -“টুনি ভাপা পিঠা খাওয়ার শখ হইতেছে।” শুনিয়া টুনি ফ্রিজ খুলিয়া দেখিল, কেবল শুকনো রুটি আর পনির পড়িয়া আছে। টুনি বলিল – -“ফ্রীজে কিছুই নাই। বাজার হইতে ভাপা পিঠা রাধিঁবার সরঞ্জাম লইয়া আস। - টোনা শুধায় “কি কি লাগিবে ফর্দ দাও।” টুনি পড়িল মহা চিন্তায়, ভাপা পিঠা কি উপায়ে রাধেঁ , কি কি লাগে সবই তো তার অজানা। ভাবিতে ভাবিতে ঘরের কোণায় যত্ন করিয়া রাখা দেশ বিদেশের পিঠা বইখানি টানিয়া লইলো। তাহা হইতে যাহা যাহা দরকার সব লিস্ট করিয়া টোনাকে দিয়া বলিল – “তাড়াতাড়ি এইসব লইয়া আস।” বিরস মুখে বাজারের থলি হাতে টোনা বাহির হইল। টুনি ভাবে, মায়ের কাছ থেকে ভাল উপায়ে ভাপা পিঠা রন্ধন প্রনালী শিখিয়া নেয়া দরকার। মাকে ফোন করিয়া ঘটনা জানাইতেই তিনি টোনার উপর যারপর নাই চটিয়া গিয়া কহিলেন- -“টোনা তাহার কন্যা কে পাহিয়াছে কি? ছুটির দিনেও রান্নাঘর থেকে ছুটি দিতেছে না।” অবস্থা বেশি সুবিধার না আঁচ করিয়া টুনি ফোন রাখিয়া দিয়া ভাবিল শ্বাশুড়িমাতার কাছ থেকেই না হয় শিখিয়া লওয়া যাক। ঘটনা শুনিয়া শ্বাশুড়িমাতা “টোনার দুর্ভাগ্যের জন্য যারপর নাই দুঃখ প্রকাশ করি

হাড়ে হাড়ে চিনি তোমায়...

হাড়ে হাড়ে চিনি তোমায় কচু ভালোবাসো আমায়' আমার লগে কর অভিনয়... জানি তুমি, চক্ষু দু’টা বাইন্ধ্যা রাখস্‌ সামনের বাড়ির জানালায়।। ফাজিল মাইয্যার নাম কি জানি, শিবানী না কি সর্বানী, মাইয্যার চোখে মুখে জ্বলে রাশি রাশি শয়তানি। রাশি রাশি শয়তানি রে… ইশারাতে চলতাছে চলুক, লোকে বলতাসে বলুক। আমার সংসারে যদি আগুন জ্বলে তবে, রিপোর্ট করব চাচার থানায়, প্রেম কর বইয়া জেলখানায়। মনে রাইখো এই কথাটি, প্রেম কইরা করস বিয়া, তোমের ঘরে আইলাম আমি, সব কিছু ছাইরা দিয়া, সব কিছু ছাইরা দিয়া হায়!! সেই মনুমেন্টের নিচে বইয়া, ফুচুফুচু কথা শুনাইয়া, আও গ্রাম ঘাটের ধারে, প্রথম প্রেমের কবিতা পইড়া, আমারে পাগোল বানাইলেও, পরাণ হয় পাগোল, উঁকিঝুকি মাইরো না আর, ছিঃহ্‌!! এ সকল কি তোমার মানায়??

ভাবনাগুলো এলোমেলো

সবকিছু বড্ড বেশী ধোঁয়াশা লাগে আজকাল।  পৃথিবী নতুন লাগছে। নাকি আমিই হয়তো বদলে গিয়েছি। কিংবা আমি না সময়টাই বদলে গিয়েছে। গতকাল একটা ফর্ম পূরণ করতে গিয়ে খেয়াল করলাম বয়সের ঘরটা্র  পরিবর্তন হয়েছে।  বদলে গিয়েছে আরো অনেক কিছুই। সবাই সেমেষ্টার  ফাইনাল পরীক্ষার জন্য পড়ছে। আমার স্কুল নেই, বই নেই, পরীক্ষা নেই। কখনো ভাবিনি পরীক্ষা নেই বলে অফসোস করবো !!! হয়তো আমিই বদলে গিয়েছি অনেক বেশি। জীবনে এসে পড়েছে অনেক দায়িত্ব। অচেনা কিছু মানুষ নতুন সম্পর্কের টানে আপন হয়ে উঠেছে; আবার আপন কিছু মানুষ অদ্ভূত নির্লিপ্ততায় দূরে সরে গেছে।  স্বতঃস্ফূর্ত জীবনের মাঝে ঢুকে গিয়েছে  হিসাব নিকেশ, অনেক প্রত্যাশা আর  হতাশা। আর ঠিক এক সপ্তাহ পরে চলে যাচ্ছি নতুন একটা শহরে।  অনিশ্চিত জীবনে।  আবার কখনো হয়তো ফিরে আসবো এই চেনা শহরে, কিন্তু তখন কী আজকের চেনা মানুষ গুলো এমনই থাকবে?? সব পরিবর্তনের সাথে মানিয়ে নেয়ার প্রাণপণ চেষ্টা করতে গিয়ে যেন তলিয়ে যাচ্ছি।